The Sumitomo Group has a long history that goes back to the 16th century.
Below you can get an overview of its history, philosophy as well as special current focal points, for which we, our parent company and the entire group stand.The philosophy of the company founder played - and still plays - a central role, to maintain the integrity of the business conduct of the whole group.
- Opened the Sumitomo Copper Rolling Works.
- Established Sumitomo Electric Wire & Cable Works.
- Development of trolley wire.
- Manufactured and installed 21 km of submarine power cable, the world’s longest at that time.
- Company name changed to Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
- Opened the Itami Works.
- Started automotive wiring harness business.
- Succeeded in achieving domestic production of television broadcasting antennas.
- Opened the Yokohama Works. Delivered the wiring harness for four-wheel vehicles for the first time in its history.
- Started production of IRRAX™ tube. The Head Office was moved from Osaka's Konohana-ku to the present address in Chuo-ku.
- Started production of Sumitube™.
- Established its first overseas production facility (Siam Electric Industries Co., Ltd.). Started production of flexible printed circuits (FPCs).
- Started production of compound semiconductors.
- Started production of optical fiber cables.
- Started manufacture of parallel wire.
- Sumitomo Electric Europe SA (SEESA) is founded in the United Kingdom to promote SEI products in Europe.
- The 100th anniversary of Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd. SEESA changes its name to Sumitomo Electric Europe Limited (SEEL) and is registered in the United Kingdom. SEI Interconnect Products (UK) Ltd. (SEUK) is established in Wales for the manufacture of flexible flat cabling.
- Developed and started marketing eco-friendly wires and cables.
- Started power transmission via superconducting cable in actual power transmission lines.
- Developed aluminum wiring harnesses.
- Siegrist-Orel Limited (UK) and Heinrich Thulesius GmbH & Co KG (Germany) join the SEPE Group.
- Siegrist-Orel Ltd. changes its name to become SEI Identification Solutions Ltd. (SEID).
- The 120th anniversary of Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd.
- Commissioning of the first electron beam accelerator in Osaka. Start of the business with the irradiation of Polyolefin tubes.
- Start of production of cross linked Polyolefin tubes (in short XL PO, or simple IRRAX™) in Kumatori.
- Start of production of cross linked Polyolefin heat shrinkable tubes (XL PO-H/S in short, or simple Sumitube™).
- First sale of Sumitube™ to Europe and the USA.
- IPD (Irradiated Product Division) became an independent division of Sumitomo Electric Industries (SEI).
- Start saling Sumitube™ in the USA directly through Sumitomo.
- Marketing of Sumitube™ in Europe (Hamburg).
- Integration of SEESA (German Branch) in Hamburg.
- Moving to Norderstedt.
- Opening ceremony of the European distribution center in Norderstedt.
- Foundation of SESP and integration of the former SEESA (German branch).li>
- Opening ceremony of the SESP production plant.li>
- SESP becomes ISO 9001 certified.
- Expansion of the automotive business, Purchase of a flattening machine, expansion of production to two shifts.
- SEPE moves from Nuremberg to us in Norderstedt, synergy effects in sales are generated, multiple changes and Expansion of the offices.
- Introduction of a new tube for the automotive industry: CS.
- SESP becomes a pure production location, SEPE also takes over the distribution of shrinking tubes, new mini-cut machine. div>Expansion of production with new machines (High-Speed-Cut, Endcap, Sumiseal), Introduction of a new tube for the automotive industry: SA3 series.Purchase of another Expander, expansion of production to three shifts.Purchase of additional Endcap machine.Purchase of additional Sumiseal machine. Consolidation of all Endcap and Sumiseal machines in one location.
Although Sumitomo Electric Industries Ltd. was founded in 1897, the history of Sumitomo dates back to the seventeenth century and our founder, Masatomo Sumitomo (1585 - 1652). His philosophy for conducting business still serves as the foundation of the "Sumitomo Spirit" and our business principles in the presend days:
- Do your sincere best, not only in business, but also in every aspect of your life!
- Place importance on integrity and sound management!
- No immoral business!
We - the Sumitomo Group - have developed a clear sustainability strategy aimed at minimizing environmental impact and taking social responsibility.
We have set ourselves the goal of being climate neutral by 2050 and reducing our CO2 emissions to a minimum.
To achive this, we invest in renewable energies and are constantly working on expanding our product portfolio with environmentally friendly technologies.
The Sumitomo Group is committed to social responsibility and is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion. For that we support non-profit organizations and initiatives which are active in the areas of education, health and social justice.
The sustainability of our company remains an ongoing process in which there is always room for improvement. In addition to the measures already taken, we will continue to take further steps to achieve our goals.
Overall, we strive to incorporate sustainable practices into our business and make a positive contribution to society and the environment.
You can find additional Information at https://sumitomoelectric.com/sustainability.
We - the Sumitomo Group - think it is primarily important to establish a society that is sustainable and has less environmental impact.
For this we established an management for environmental preservation activities in order to improve environmental awareness and performance as well as reducing corresponding impacts in the production of environmentally conscious products and services in line with the requirements of our customers.
To comply with this, we set Sumitomo Electric Group's self standards higher than the legal ones and strive to maintain and improve them.
A larger overview of these can be found at https://sumitomoelectric.com/sustainability/csr/environment.